BEFORE YOU TURN ONTO THE HIGHWAY,
READ THE SIGNS IN THE MUSIC
Structured piano practice in 6 simple steps for 20, 30, or 40 minutes.
Even if you have just 10 minutes to practice, you can set important goals which may be realized in a few minutes.
It is not the amount of time…it is HOW you practice.
- STEP 1: Five finger exercises or scales and chord progressions - work on two major and two minor at a time. 5 finger patterns with I-V-I chords. One and two octave scales with I-IV-I-V7-I chords. THESE MUST BE DONE WEEKLY FOR CERTIFICATE OF MERIT AND NATIONAL GUILD.
- STEP 2: Spend 10 minutes practicing each assigned piece for the week; work at each one purposefully and slowly, separate hands at first. (Name notes, name counts, then slowly hands together) 2 - 4 measures per day.
- A. Highlight all extramusical ideas and define terminology (write out on music).
- B. Record on phone – playback and watch music for details.
- C. Notice where you rush and slowdown. Use metronome:
- Is the strong beat heard once per measure? Or twice?
- Know how to group in two, three or four.
- D. Check your dynamics – create a dynamics chart:
- A dynamics chart shows all the measures without notes and just dynamics.
- All students have seen one, however I will show one on Collabra with a diagram I email.
- STEP 3: Review 2 (two) measures. Then learn 2 (two) measures. Alternate each day.
- STEP 4: Spend 3 - 5 minutes reviewing one past piece slowly each day.
- STEP 5: Spend 2 minutes on sight-reading exercises.
- STEP 6: Set 3 (three) goals in your practicing each day. I will give you a bravo for completing these goals.